Having selected zebrafish, Danio rerio, as the optimal model system, it is prudent to determine whether there are existing strains with modification to the gene of interest.
- Find the ortholog of the gene in zebrafish. Since zebrafish are teleosts, having undergone whole genome duplication, it may be necessary to find any paralogs as well. Search NCBI’s HomoloGene or Sanger Center’s Vega project.
- Define what type of genetic modification is desired
- Determine whether the desired gene modification exists
Search the following databases:
- ZFIN’s General Fish Database
- The Sanger Institute’s Zebrafish Mutation Project Homepage & Fish Knockout Database
- The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Moens TILLing Project Homepage & Fish Knockout Database
- Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden’s CreZoo Transgenic Fish Database
Next Section >> Mutant Generation